Monday, June 27, 2016

THAT Time of the Year!

Yep, the garden has started producing and today I did one of my favorite tasks of the season - I started the Kosher Dill pickle fermentation process.  Well, putting up the harvest can be time consuming and sometimes even hard work but I love fermented pickles so all the work is worth it!

This is a half-gallon jar of slices but I also put up a quart jar of spears.  After that I kinda ran out of steam and the right sized cucumbers!

It's also the time of year for squash, especially zucchini!  Since it's the first of the season, we're really enjoying it though - we haven't had time to get tired of it.  Last night we had
 good old yellow summer squash on the grill - yummy!

This is just a few of the cucumbers that were picked and I probably pickled at least half that many again.  And there's a few zucchini in front of the basket of cucumbers. 

And last but not least, here are a few of the coneflowers that have practically taken over the yard and the small pasture behind the barn.  We had planted wildflowers there as that's where we buried Bonnie, my horse and wanted to plant flowers for a memorial.  The coneflowers and rudbeckia have practically crowded out the other flowers and have spread all up around the house.  It's a cheery site to see all those sunny yellow flowers all around and they keep blooming almost all summer long.







No comments: