Saturday, October 13, 2018

New Paintings


I've been painting up a storm lately, actually painting through two storms (Florence and Michael) when I was able, lol. 

It seems I'm either inspired to paint or not and here lately, I've been inspired.  These next three paintings were all done in oils - either alkyd oil or water soluble oil.  I like both of them and use either depending on the situation :  alkyd oil if I need fast drying or water soluble oil if I want to clean up without harsh solvents.

Anyway, here are some paintings I've recently finished:

 The calf above was painted with alkyd oils and is my first attempt at a cow, except a sort of cartoonish dairy cow I did some time ago.  This is 6x8 inches on an AlumaCorp panel.  It's prepped as I described in an earlier post and I'm thinking of adding some kind of background.


The horse was also painted on a 6x8" AlumaCorp panel but I added gesso before starting the painting to help reduce the glare.  I was amazed that even with a couple of coats of gesso, the panel still had a lovely glow.  This painting was done with water soluble oil and may look a bit splotchy as it isn't dry yet.

 This last painting was done for a challenge in a painting forum I belong to.  The challenge was to paint leaves.  Most everyone is doing fall leaves but oranges and bright yellows aren't my favorite colors so I chose this apple on a tree.  This was also somewhat of an experiment to try Julie Ford Oliver's fracturing technique.

Let's just say that a Julie Ford Oliver I'm not!  But there are aspects that I like - several leaf shapes showed up by accident and that was certainly a plus.

I have more paintings waiting to be painted so hope to see you back here again soon.



2 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

My goodness you have been busy.

I know I've been away for a while but I'm very impressed with your output.

How do you manage to work so small? These are all lovely but the horse has my vote Jan.

You have put me to shame. I have no free time till midweek but will get back to the drawing board.

Suex

Jan said...

Thanks, Sue, so glad to see you after so long although I know you've had reason!

Actually, it's difficult to work real small but the 6x8" pieces are a comfortable size.

Will rework the calf as my rancher sister says the nose/mouth isn't right. I knew something was wrong with it but didn't know what. She sent some close up photos of their herd though so hopefully, I can adjust it. Also posted wrong pic of the painting as I'd tweaked the off eye some too.