Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sweet Little Fawn

Buck - gouache on watercolor paper

I guess I have one girly-girl vice and it's not shoes!  However, it does have to do with my feet and it's that I really love getting spa pedicures.  The woman who does them for me gave me some photos of a tiny baby fawn that her daughter had found on their property.  I've been wanting to paint this little guy forever but something else has always interfered.

Well, I finally decided that I would paint it and wouldn't let anything else get in the way of it getting done.  This is as far as I've gotten so far.  I'm painting it in gouache (opaque watercolor) and it's being done in layers.  I've only gotten the first layers down right now and no real detail as yet.

Frankly, I'm a little stumped by the fawn-like tangle of legs and need to stop and sort out what goes where!  The reference photo was a little small so I couldn't enlarge it to get any detail but I think I can find something similar online and maybe tell how the legs are positioned.

It probably won't matter a whole lot as there's grass which will cover some of his legs and chest area.  You know me though, I'm kind of a freak about getting it right to begin with and really do want to be as accurate as possible.  If the "bones" of a painting are good, then the rest of it will have a better chance of being good also.

Watch for the final of this soon!


No comments: