Thursday, December 26, 2013

Christmas Toys

 My husband and I used to play around cutting bottles and turning them into things like vases or lamps or other questionably useful items.  This was nearly 30 years ago so I guess we were into recycling long before it was popular!  lol

Well, we were given these beautiful blue wine bottles so we drug out the bottle cutter and I looked online for inspiration as to what to do with them.  I like the look of engraved glass so used an acid etch to put a design on some old bottles for practice but just didn't like the look of it and didn't think it would work on these blue bottles

I guess Santa knew that because I woke up on Christmas morning to find a huge box under the tree!  It had to be from Santa because my husband and I don't exchange gifts - we usually prefer to buy what we want when we want it so the box was a huge surprise!

In the box was a 245 piece rotary tool set with 2 rotary tools, a flexible shaft for detail work and every imaginable bit and doodad ever made for it.  I immediately grabbed up the diamond bits and started in on a beach scene on one of the bottles.  Remember, this is my first try at glass engraving so don't laugh too hard!  I'm told the glass is pretty forgiving so hope I can recover from any mistakes made!

The dolphin and the waves are patterns but the seagulls on the opposite side are free-hand and still in the process of being engraved.  I also plan to add another gull and maybe a lighthouse in the distance. 

What will I do with these bottles after I engrave them?  Hmmmm, I'm not really sure!  I've seen some lovely patio lights made from recycled wine bottles and also some wind chimes - I'm sure something will eventually come to me but if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know!

2 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

You are so talented Jan. I love these and nobody could tell this is your first attempt at glass engraving. How clever of Santa to find just the right present!!

I love them just as decorative objects or vases, but I guess they'd look good as lamps also

If we lived closer I could keep you going with lots of empty wine bottles LOL

Jan said...

Thanks, Sue, I don't know about talented but I enjoy doing stuff like this!

You know, I was thinking the same thing about wishing we lived closer! lol I'm sure you come across some beautiful bottles in your travels across the Channel!