Monday, December 14, 2015

Artist Taboret

I've been busy lately with a project that has been something of a mental challenge.  I wanted an artist's taboret but was unwilling to pay the hundreds of dollars that they cost for even a simple one.  (You can say it, I don't care - I'm cheap!)

Actually, I don't mind paying for quality but much of what I've seen of taborets in my price range were pressed board and not so well made.  So when I was browsing in our local Habitat for Humanity Thrift Store, a small, wooden file cabinet on casters caught my attention and I immediately saw a taboret in the making.

The file cabinet was solid wood but not wood finished - it had a black lacquer finish and was in like new condition.  So, for $20, I snatched it up before someone else got to it!  This is very similar to how it looked before I went to work on it only the one I got was much nicer:

The first problem I encountered was how to make it taller as I really wanted something that would hold both my table easel and painting paraphernalia.  I stand to paint so wanted to make it a custom height just for me.  My husband cut 2 sides & a back to bring the height to what I wanted but I wasn't sure how to attach them to the cabinet!  I ended up using strips of wood screwed to the top then gluing and screwing the new boards to that.  It is very stable and seems to be working well.

Next, we cut a top which will be attached to the extensions and added boards to both sides which are hinged to the top.  I have some supports which will hold up those side pieces when I need them but allow them to lie against the side of the cabinet when not in use to save some space.

Here's what it looks like right now.  I still have to give everything a final coat of paint and attach the supports for the side pieces but otherwise, it's very nearly finished.

The bottom (original cabinet) has 3 drawers which I'll use for various art supplies.  I haven't decided what I'll do with the opening created by extending the height but I'm thinking it would be a really good place to store my palettes.  I have one for watercolors, one for acrylic and one for oils along with misc. ones from the dollar store. They're mostly in covered containers so I wouldn't need a drawer to keep them in.

I hope I can finish this in the next few days but it's raining again so have to do any painting in the house.

So that's what I've been doing but it's about time for this project to be completed.  Hope it all ends up as I envision and is as useful and space saving as I hope!

I'll keep you posted!


Anonymous said...

I looked up Artist Taboret and found some in your price range but as you said, they are not the quality you are making. Great job!!

Jan said...

Actually, as long as it was sturdy, I would have taken a cheap one but none would have the surface space of the one I'm making. The top is 20" wide and 21" deep which is pretty normal but when I extend the side pieces, I'll have a full 48" wide so lots more room than all but the really expensive ones!

Sue Clinker said...

You and Dayle are so 'handy' .... such a useful piece of furniture to have in the studio. I work at an oak refectory table (used to be a spare dining table from the old house) so it doesn't have any storage or extension facilities.

Expecting more masterpieces from you now you have a new Taboret!