Sunday, February 11, 2018

At Last -----

I guess the title of this blog post has sort of a double meaning.  I was actually thinking that spring is on the way but then realized how long it's been since I've posted!

First let me apologize for the lack of posts in the last few months!  Then let me share some photos on the advent of spring in our area!

Spring is my favorite season so I'm always glad to find even subtle signs of it.  There are so many today that I'm beyond thrilled.  Of course, I'm also thrilled with the 72.2 degree temperature outside that prompted me to go out and take the photographs!

 Above is a camellia from a bush on the north side of our front yard.  Usually the buds wouldn't be this large at this time of the year but I even saw a couple of burnt flowers that bloomed too soon and got nipped by frost.

Next are a few daffodils that are just on the verge of blooming.  Of course, the daffies are always early and even a moderate frost doesn't bother them too much.  These happen to be on the south side of the house and near the brick foundation so I imagine it's even warmer for them there.  However, the daffodils in the yard also have buds.



Below is a Lenten Rose just about to bloom!  I so enjoy these flowers as they seem to bloom in February no matter the weather and they keep their beautiful display for weeks and weeks!



And below is what the locals call 'Fresh Breath of Spring' but I think the correct name is 'Winter Honeysuckle'.  It's a delightful shrub whose flowers are not only welcome at this time of the year but are as fragrant as summer honeysuckle.



And last but certainly not least are the little violas that spring up EVERYWHERE about now.  To me, they're the definite harbinger of spring!


For any of you who have visited only to find the lights off and the blog cold and dark, I apologize but I'll tell you that I have been painting but nothing that's really worth sharing.  I've been playing with casein but I'm pretty sure it's not the medium for me.  It just doesn't fit my way of working like other mediums do no matter how I wish it did.  I greatly admire another artist who paints wonderful things in casein.  You should check out Mary's work HERE.

She suggested devoting a month or two or three to painting in casein exclusively before making up your mind about it and I have pretty much done that.  Unfortunately, the results are too embarrassing to show!  I do have a couple of paintings that I got frustrated with and put aside that I do want to finish though and will be showing those when completed.

In the meantime, hope it won't be so long between blog posts from now on.

4 comments:

Mary Klein said...

What a lovely tour of your garden! I can see why spring is your favorite season :)

Thank you for your kind mention of my blog. Now that you've got yours 'up and running' again I'll be sure to put a link to it in my sidebar. That way it'll be easy for me to visit regularly.

I'm looking forward to more signs of spring - and to seeing what you'll be creating next!

Jan said...

Thanks, Mary! Glad you stopped by as I'm sure a little glimpse of spring is welcome to you too. Maybe I can continue this blog without getting sidetracked now so you'll have something to see when you visit.

Sue Clinker said...

Its always lovely to see these early flowers isn't it. We've got a few daffodils ready to open/bloom but most won't be ready for another couple of weeks.

You have much more colour in your garden that us at the moment ....

Jan said...

Hey Sue! Are you posting from Fuerte? There really isn't much blooming right now but a few plants here and there. The little violas are considered weeds by most people as they come up everywhere unplanted. I know when I see them that spring is on its way though and it's always a comfort and a hope to see them!