Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Put Off Painting!

I honestly don't know how long I've been "working" on this - several years I'm sure.  It's one of those paintings that I really want to finish but nothing seems to go right with it.

For one thing, it's being painted in acrylics which is my nemesis.  And for another thing, it's all dark, creepy and green except for the egret.  Of course, all the swamps I've been in were dark, creepy and slimy green so I guess it's pretty authentic!

I guess I don't mind the green so much and I actually like the background of trees although there's still a little bit more to do there.  The thing with slimy green swamps is the green on the surface is sometimes kind of phosphorescent and I'd like to portray that but it's escaping me.  The foreground, and of course the bird,  need a lot of work and I'm just not sure where to go with them.

The composition is a mix of many reference photos and my own memories of camping in the swamps of Mississippi back in the late 60's.  I guess I want to capture the feel of the swamp rather than the actual look of it and it's proving a very elusive thing to do! It's too bad one can't paint in the sound of a bobcat's cry in the middle of the night.  I'm sure that would certainly complete the picture of the very essence of the swamp!

2 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

I think its a wonderful background colour which really makes the egret stand out and you probably don't need to do too much detail - just create the illusion.

Listen to me ... the one who hates doing backgrounds LOL

Jan said...

Thanks Sue, I really think the background is pretty much finished although I kinda wanted a sort of glow on the water. Our Southern swamps sometimes have a sort of low-wattage lit up surface but I think that would detract from the egret. Oh, well, like Scarlett O'Hara says "Tomorrow is another day!"