Friday, March 28, 2014

First Adult Portrait (of sorts!)

Those of you who know me or even read my blogs, know that I just don't paint human portraits!  I've done all kinds of pet portraits, of course, and one of our granddaughter as a baby and one of a toddler. 

Grown up adult humanoids are a whole 'nuther story!  However, I convinced my darling other half to dress in his western clothes so I could take some photographs to possibly use as painting references since we're going to participate in that art show in Colorado this summer.  It's supposed to be a show of Western art but this year it's open to all kinds of subjects.

Anyway, I wanted some western type art and that was the reason for the photo shoot.  My idea was to maybe use my husband leaning against the gate but paint him full length from enough distance to be able to blur his features.  In other words, I wouldn't have to paint a realistic portrait!

But I liked the photo with this close up of him and figured I could fake what few features are showing!  And I plan to fake the background and add a few head of cattle since we've long since sold all of ours.  So far it's going pretty well but there's still a ways to go with it.  BTW, this is gouache and 11 x 14 inches in size.

I'll keep you posted on the progress!


2 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

Ahhh I recognise the ref. photo LOL

Lovely idea and interesting angle. I'm going to enjoy watching this one develop

Jan said...

I do hope it works out, Sue!